From:
Kristen Thelander <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 1996 01:23:58 -0500
Hello once again.  I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts about
what I can give to Casey as a treat.  She turns her nose up at everything
she is offered, whereas Emily will eat anything we put in front of her.  We
have offered pieces of cereal (Emily prefers cinnamon life, lucky charms and
honeycombs; Casey takes it but just adds the cereal to her hidden collection
of things in the dresser drawer), we've tried raisins, ferretone, baby food,
and countless other things.  The only thing we found that Casey loves is
milk and ice cream and since dairy foods cause diarrhea, we veer away from
them.  But, I feel so bad; Casey is a very good girl and I can't seem to
reward her with anything she likes.  Any ideas?

Also, I find the several stories concerning ferrets and waterbeds quite
amusing (although I'm sure the owners of the waterbeds feel differently) but
I have to admit that the girls are generally very good with our waterbed.
Casey has on more than one occasion tried to dig through the corners and
uproot the sheets, but she has never attempted to bite through the waterbed.
See why she deserves to have some treats?  :)

One final note, Emily is off to the vet tomorrow for the first time.  If
anyone is looking for a vet in northern New Jersey, I can certainly
recommend a good one.  I had been taking my fuzzies to another local vet and
was very upset with his treatment of them; both of them screamed while
receiving their first round of shots.  It was also disconcerting when it
appeared that I knew more about ferret health than he did, so I switched
vets and I'm so happy I did; Dr.  Alfieri is a very gentle, caring and
intelligent veterinarian.  When she administered the second round of shots,
neither one of my babies uttered a sound.  Instead of pinning them down on
the table by their necks as the last vet had done, she let me hold them and
she spoke soothingly to them.  It was definitely a much more pleasant
experience.  Also, when Nikki had broken her leg, Dr.  Alfieri examined her
X-rays (taken by the emergency clinic) and examined Nikki free of charge.  I
am just trying to restore hope for some people who hold the belief that
veterinarians are incompetent money-grubbers.  Yes, there are incompetent
vets out there, but there are also some really great ones who genuinely care
for the well-being of animals.  If anyone needs a vet, e-mail me for Dr.
Alfieri's address and phone number.

Kristen and Chris (the human authority figures)
Casey (Mommy, why don't I ever get treats... :( don't you love me anymore?)
Emily (dook dook... I wonder what Mommy will give me tomorrow for going to
       the doctor... raisins, lucky charms, hmmmmm...)