Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 1996 12:06:29 -0500
I have read in numerous place that a good quality food for ferrets should
have poultry as its first ingredient.

Does anyone know, specifically, why?  (i.e.  why not some other meat?  More
expensive?  Easier to include all parts (skin, guts) of a chicken vs.  other
animals in manufacture?  Poultry is "magic meat"?  I can't imagine polecats
catching too many birds...)

I would love personal mail re: diet, as I am trying to put together a
balanced, regular diet for the little one; I want to do it right.  Was
feeding SD kitten, now also Iams kitten; plus large bones incl.  marrow
bones, and meat--less trimmed, more gorey stuff.  Also 1 tbsp.  veggies such
as green pepper/tomato/jicama/avocado.  Canned cat for treats.

Also, fish: is the thiaminase (sp?  enzyme destroying thiamin) also a major
concern for ferts?

I can't buy ferret chow here, but can order it in.  Recommendations?

Please forgive me, FML'ers, if you're sick of hearing about diet.  I want to
figure this out.  Personal mail, as I said, is fine.

Thanks, Lynn.

[log in to unmask]                       [log in to unmask]