From:
"Sue M." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Sep 1999 16:58:10 +0000
How do you spend $1000 on a sick ferret?

You write out a check...it's simple.  Or in my case...make out a payment
plan with your vet.

I don't even want to think how much I've paid vets in the past year and a
half.  So I won't.  That's not counting gas either...the guy here in town
will do a few things, but doesn't really feel like he can treat them like
they deserve and doesn't have the time to learn...so I regularly drive an
hour to the vet.  (At least she gives me a distance discount!)

The issue with the money was only "I'm tight this month, it's not an
immediate need, so we can do the surgury next month."  Wasn't the case with
Tempest...the kid with the growing bone tumor on his skull.  Two surguries
in a week's time, the first didn't make it...which was good for Tempest
because *he* wouldn't have made it without the first's skull to practice
on.  So...consider that at least $800 right there...which is a good price
considering that both surguries took quite some time because she'd not done
either before.  Why did I do it?  Because it would have given Rocky some
more quality time...time that he *deserved*.  We were told to just let
Tempest's tumor run it's course...the surgury couldn't be done.  We did
it, he's his normal self, and hopefully the experience will help ferrets
elsewhere should skull surgury be needed.

Buddy has a fast growing tumor on his toe.  That surgury, not including
his emergency call to his allergic reaction to his vaccination, and the
bloodwork, will possibly run me around $200...possibly less...possibly more
if he has to stay overnight.  Why would I consider it?  Because it needs to
be done.  Why am I considering Rosa's insulinoma/adrenal surgury?  Because
it needs to be done.

When I accept an animal into my household...they aren't there for
decoration and to "throw away" when they get sick...left to die.  *I* am
responsible for maintaining their health...and the means shelling out the
money if it's needed and I can.  I've had animals put down...I don't spend
money if it's time for an animal to go on.  I did put out extra money for a
kit that was dying...I knew there was no hope really, but she wanted *so*
much to live...it was my responsibility to help her in that endevor.  I
begged her actually to tell me she was ready to go...I wanted so much to
end her suffering, but she *did not want to die*, so I couldn't.

It is my responsibility to give them as much quality time as possible...if
that means spending $1000 in vet bills, then that's what it means.  What
if I don't have that kind of money when I need it?  Then it's still my
responsibility to do everything I *can* to to extend their quality of
life...not quantity...quality.

How do I know they aren't suffering?  when their behavior returns to what
it was before the surgury...when they play, eat, dig, hide my stuff, climb
me, try to escape out the front door, and do all the things that a ferret
does with joy.  If you know your ferrets...if you spend time with them,
know how they look and act...it isn't really hard to tell when there's
something not quite right...and when there is downright suffering.
Heck...even when it pains *us* to look at them...there can still be joy.
My Fezwig...adrenal sufferer...I don't think I was the one who paid for her
suguries...I adopted her later...was *nothing* but skin, bones and a few
tufts of fur...she could hardly toddle around the house...but up to 15
minutes before she died she was trying to wardance, and was having a grand
old time.  She lived a lot longer than people expected her to.  She looked
like hell...but she wasn't suffering...or at least she wasn't ready to give
up on life.  How could I possibly tell her...or the kit...that *their* love
for life wasn't important because they were just going to die anyway and
they're "just" and animal so why should I spend the money?

It's just money...and there are things much more important...like giving
your friends...particularly the ones that depend on you for *everything*...
a few more years...or even months if that's all...of happy life.

Sue