From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 16:30:56 -0500
I awoke to the screams of a ferret in pain.  I fumbled for the light and
saw my Rusty flailing on the window sill, screaming as loud as he could.
As I ran to his side I saw the problem, the storm window had been slightly
up and he had jostled it loose and it had trapped his foot, or his toe to
be exact.  As I reached for the sides of the window to raise it, in his
fear and pain he latched onto my hand but as soon as he knew it was human
flesh he released.  I calmly reached down and gently circled his head with
my hands caressing him and told him "Rusty it's me, it's o.k., I'll help
you" and I said these words his cries stopped and he became still.  I was
able to open the window and he release him.  Afterwards he laid by my feet
and tried to roll his butt up in play but his foot was so painful he
winced.  I checked his foot and he had broken the bone of the toe.  The
amount of pain he was in and he was still able to control his actions,
amazes me.

My point here is that Rusty was in severe, excrutiating pain.  When he
initially bit, it was at the unknown.  Once he knew it was my hand he
released and he didn't try to bite again.  And that one bite?  Mild, very
mild.  He releases as soon as he knew is was my hand.  The small marks
will be healed in days.

What does this tell you about ferrets?  Think about it.

I feel terrible that the window fell when it is my responsibility to keep
the little ones safe.  But Rusty holds no grudges and still asks me to
hold, cuddle, and play with him.

Hugs to all. tle