From:
Linda Doran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Apr 2012 07:35:23 -0700
This is really awful news for bats. Some people are already terrified
of them and go out of their way to kill them.

For all we know, the bats are doing us a favor by harboring viruses
that would otherwise be under greater evolutionary pressure to move
to people.

I am also uncomfortable with the notion that vaccines will permanently
eradicate disease. There will always be communicable diseases. We stamp
out other species and decrease biological diversity at our own peril.