From:
Julie Fossa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2006 08:09:25 -0800
Hi everyone,

Larry has asked me to thank everyone for their support during this
difficult time for him and Sara. The cards, phone calls, and emails
have been deeply appreciated.

I'm long overdue for an update on these sweet ferrets. Twenty two of
the ferrets have returned home to Larry's, with an additional 4 more
returning this weekend. These are the healthier groups, which include 3
compromised ferrets. We felt taking care of this many along with three
sick ones were enough for him to try to manage for now.

At this point, all ferrets have been treated for earmites (routine).
All ferrets have been treated for coccidia (routine although we were
seeing a lot of diarrhea at first.) We're continuing to assess the
ferrets and identify health issues. Many have experienced digestive
issues which are to be expected under the circumstances. Three ferrets
are on Biaxin and either Amoxi or Clavamox combos to treat for
helicobacter. We have identified heart problems in little Tweeter.

Possibly the most seriously ill ferret right now is Haggard. His
symptoms resembled very much what I saw when I lost Donovan to
intestinal lymphoma. Haggard is 5-6 years of age and has had a series
of intestinal issues, including mucousy, then bloody diarrhea with an
elevated temp. Sunday evening he clamped his jaws, and I feared he was
close to the end. Fluids, Biaxin and Clavamox and Carafate have given
me renewed hope that wardances are still to come. His energy level is
back and he is eating well. I know we are not through the woods, but I
have hope he will recover.

Delilah had adrenal surgery on Tuesday and is recovering well.
Gladrielle and Peaball are scheduled for adrenal surgery over the next
couple of weeks. Due to very bloody urine, Kodiak will be scheduled for
adrenal surgery as my vet was able to feel a rather enlarged prostate
gland. At this time, we are attributing the blood to his prostate, and
he is responding well to the antibiotic.

We are continuing to check blood glucose levels to identify any ferrets
with low blood sugar. Currently, eight of Larry's kids that are here
are on meds. Not all of those will be long term. The three on the
Biaxin combos will be finished in another ten days, and Gladrielle
won't need her Amoxi once she has had her adrenal surgery. Kodiak
shouldn't be on meds long term, either.

One sweet little girl has already gone to her new home. Thank you to
Karen and Thomas of Evansville for giving Sugar a place in your home
and in your hearts. Thank you to Support Our Shelters for donating ADV
testing kits. Thank you, Brenda (Ferretfarm), for the box of badly
needed oversized hammocks, sleep sacks, and feeding bowls. Thank you to
the International Ferret Congress for funds to help pay for medications
(the Biaxin alone was $60.00). And Thank you to my wonderful vet, Dr.
Chad Higgins, for his ongoing support to our shelter effort by reduced
office calls and affordable surgeries (Delilah's adrenal surgery was
$160). (Gotta thank my husband, Neil, for all his help, too!)

At present, I believe we have fifteen of Rebecca and Larry's ferrets
that we would like to re-home. One has been placed. I will be posting
again, shortly, listing the groups and a little about each. Pics should
be on the website soon, and I'll get links up to take you to see them.
They are really sweet loving ferrets that need forever homes. We have a
few wonderful people that have stepped forward and offered to take some
of these kids, but we will need help with transporting the ferrets to
them.

Stay tuned to meet some of these sweet ferrets!

Julie

Julie Fossa
FL (772)228-9067 winters
OH (419)225-8383 summers