From:
mmmarsha <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 1995 16:10:18 PDT
I have been reading the FML for over a year now and have all the back issues.
So I guess its time I came out of the shadows.  We live on Vancouver Island
off the mainland Vancouver, B.C.  We cross a few times each year as we just
did to go to a frolic in Kirkland.  We have to send to the mainland (New
Westminster) Department of Agriculture to get a permit for $25.00.  This
permit was for 2 of my ferrets.  This usually takes up to 30 days.
The permit reads...  The animals imported under this permit will be eligible
for entry into Canada provided that they are accompanied by a health
certificate issued by a licensed veterinarian and endorsed by a Agriculture
and Agri-Food Canada veterinarian, which clearly identifies the animal(s)
and shows that:
1. the animals were examined by a veterinarian licensed in Canada.  within
   the last twelve (12) months and were found to be free from communicable
   disease;
2. the other animals on the Canadian premise of origin are free from symptoms
   of rabies;
3. during the twelve (12) months prior to export to the USA rabies has not
   been diagnosed on the premises of origin;
4. the animals were vaccinated against rabies, using a vaccine approved for
   the species, not less than thirty (30) days and not more than one (1) year
   preceding the date of importation.
The name of th vaccine used, the manufacturer and the date of vaccination
must be shown on the health certificate.  The ferrets must have travelled
directly to the United States from Canada and be returning directly to
Canada from the United States.  On arrival at the first Canadian port of
entry, the animals will be subject to inspection and if found healthy, will
be released into Canada.
So we got the letter from my Vet. which he did not charge me for because he
thought the whole procedure was crazy.  He believes they should be treated
as a cat or dog.  Not as wildlife like foxes and skunks.  Then we took this
letter and the permit to Agriculture Victoria and paid another $13.00 only
to be told because we were crossing on a weekend they would have to charge
$55.00 at the border to call in another vet upon our return.  I never found
out if that was per ferret.  We were travelling with another FML Ferret
owner of 4 ferrets.  Hi Connie and Tom!  They had taken only one of them.
We got the 7 a.m.  ferry and got to Vancouver at 8.30 and drove to the
Border.The U.S Guard said "hey whats that" We replied they were ferrets and
we had all our papers.  So he yells to the other Border Guard.  "What do we
do about Ferrets"The reply was to treat them as a Cat or Dog.  So we were
waved through.  We arrived in Kirkland around 11 a.m.  We spent a great day
and met another FML couple.  Hi Lisaand her husband and two fur people.  We
left after 6 p.m.  and drove back to the border.  Thank God the ferrets were
totally tired and asleep after frolicing with their U.S.A.  cousins and
brother and sisters.  The guy only asked us were we Canadians and did we
shop and buy any alcohol or smokes.  We said NO.  So he waved us home.  He
did not ask if we had anything to declare So we saved the $55.00 and just
made the ferry home.  Sorry this is so long but I wanted to post the trip
was worth it and let you know what we went through to travel with our little
ones!

Muriel M. Marshall (Human) + Tinker Bell (Toe Biting Angel) +
Nikita Bratski (Tazmanian Devil) & Hobbs (But I Am Not A Wolf!)
Calvin (Human-Who Loves Us All) Victoria, B.C. Canada