From:
Bruce Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jul 1995 20:13:14 -0700
>...  Well i found a kind that they can burrow in without the risk of
>>intestinal blockages due to eating it.  This wonderful stuff is made out of
>>potato.  (puffed like rice) It will melt on the toungue, and doesnt taste
>>to bad either.  It was desighned to ship computer components in because it
>>absorbs moisture, thus eliminating the need of desacants of any kind.  Its
>>all natural, edible, biodgradabe, and ferrets can eat it or play in it all
>>day.  (They think its loads o'fun)
>
>I would like to see the opinions of Dr Williams, the other vets, or the more
>knowledgable Ferret owners on this.  Is it possible that if this packing
>material is designed to absorb moisture that the same problems that have
>been discussed with certain absorbing litters could result?

        Lots of materials absorb moisture.  The sheer size of this material
will prevent ferrets from getting it up their nose or clumped on their anus
as we see with the clumping cat litters.  It's a totally different type of
material.  I suppose my only question about this is whether the ferrets will
eat a large amount of it.  (They sure like to eat styrofoam).  Then you may
end up with a blockage, or more likely, they may stop eating real food
because they are so full of this potato-based packing material.

        I would say that it's a good idea, but only under supervision.

Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP                                   Dept. of
Veterinary Pathology
AccuPath
Armed Forces Institute of Pathology
[log in to unmask]  OR                                 Washington, D.C.
20306-6000
(202) 782-2600