From:
Melissa Rotert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Oct 2004 12:19:33 -0700
Ok, lets try this again.

As I said, I have nearly no experience with deafness in ferrets.  I've
learned a bit more from Linda and Sukie in these last few days, but I
admit I've never really researched it.  My own Tasha, a bibbed blaze
mitt with progressively more silver than sable coloring was perfectly
well-hearing, as have been all my more mundanely (I mean that in the
absolutely MOST affectionate way!) colored ferrets.  I've no idea whether
her coloring was indicative of WS or other such defects.

That said, I stand by what I said about basic genetics.  I understand
that most if not nearly all domestic ferrets in the US who are deaf have
the connected coloring issues.  I accept that.  I believe I am still
correct in saying that is not the only reason a ferret could be born
deaf, though perhaps I am looking more at the variable expressions again
than any other known genetic defects which cause deafness.  But it IS
still true that deafness in domestic ferrets on the genetic level will
ALWAYS be with us, and has always been with us.

I did not mean to undermine the actual point of the post; that selective
breeding for color is a foolish and destructive path.  I only meant to
clarify some things I thought may have been glossed over a bit by the
passion of the original poster.  When discussing issues of genetic
problems, it is important, I think, to be as clear and scientific about
them as possible.  Am I guilty of not being clear and scientific on
some of these points?  I'm quite sure yes.  But I accept other people
correcting my inaccuracies just as I think it is important for me to
correct others when I see them.  For FML members who aren't familiar
with the science of the issue, it does a disservice to gloss over it by
blaming the existence of deafness on selective breeding.  Blame the
prevalence, yes, but the existence, no.

I do think the situation merits attention, though.  To say that selective
breeding for color without regard to associated genetic health problems
is irresponsible would be the understatement of the year.  To ignore that
it happens would be the folly of the year.  I don't support it, and I
think none of us should.

It brings me to another point.  Perhaps Sukie might know more about
this.  When my Tasha died, the cause was not known.  I was 7 months
pregnant at the time, and the vet bills that piled up while we tried to
save her were enough to completely destroy what we'd been saving to pay
for the upcoming delivery expenses.  I simply could not afford to have a
necropsy done, and the depression her death put me into was enough to
drive the thought right out of my head altogether.  In hindsight, I will
always wish one was done, but I was simply unable to do it then.  Now,
I'd have found a way.  Then, no.

However, the vet believed the likely culprit was a genetic trait causing
a malformed component of the circulatory system.  He said he'd done
some research and had seen other, albeit rare, cases of ferrets fitting
Tasha's general description with such problems.  It seemed to strike
younger ferrets, about Tasha's age of 2 and a half or so, and those who
were particularly petite (Tasha never topped 1.5 pounds in her short
life), and who exhibited certain coloring traits.  The reason for the age
was that after living a few years, this problem, which was degenerative
in nature, finally caused the circulatory system to stop functioning
properly.

You'll have to forgive me, I was beyond distraught at the time.  I
had visited her in the hospital, having been told by the vet she was
improving, and while there I saw her take her last breath.  I sat hunched
over her incubator for nearly an hour sobbing uncontrollably.  The vet
was explaining all this too me during that time, so I admit I don't
remember nearly enough of the specifics as I should, but I'm quite clear
on a few things: This was a degenerative genetic defect associated with
coloring and size traits.

My question is, does this fit within the pattern of such traits, and if
so, it certainly illustrates to me the importance of looking beyond
deafness to the multitude of other serious health consequences of such
selective breeding habits.

Melissa