From:
"Michael F. Janke" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Sep 1998 07:27:04 -0400
>From:    "Randall R. Duke" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Intro & heartworm ???
>One thing I was wondering about is how bad is heart worms with ferrets?
>... I live in the south and it is mosquito heaven here... I can't imagine
>giving her a heart worm tab.  She is so little.  Any feed back ???

Get Wheezy started on heartworm prevention right away.  Of course she must
first have an occult heartworm test.

As for how bad it is in ferrets... unless you have a vet that has had
experience treating heartworm in ferrets, which is not very treatable even
by those vets, if wheezy were to get them, she'll probably die from them.

Giving the heartworm pill is not that difficult.  It's a very tiny amount
and can be crushed and mixed into Nutrical or some other treat she likes
and she'll never know she's getting it.  And, it's only once a month.

For the ferrets,
Mike

* Michael F. Janke, [log in to unmask]
* Secretary, South Florida Ferret Club & Rescue
* A 501(c)3 not-for-profit corporation
*
* Visit our web site:  http://www.miamiferret.org