From:
"Ferrets First Shelter, TX" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 May 1997 17:14:47 -0400
Friends a very important matter is before us now.  I have not expressed my
feelings on the subject of little Kodo's plight publicly to you up until
this day, though I have been involved "behind the scenes" and have sent many
strong letters on his behalf to those with influence and power to affect
changes/rulings in Kodo's favor.  I can't even say what is causing me to
speak today to you, except to say it is rooted in the very strong and very
deep love I have for these wonderful creatures.

You folks have proven to be a generous, caring, and powerful group.  You've
saved White Fang (now known as Pookie Bear) and you've saved Gabriel, the
sweet little crippled boy in New Hampshire.  These two would not be alive
today without your guys!  And you've done countless other things to assist
shelters and ferrets as needs have arisen.  Many of you have already had a
big part in sparing Kodo from death so far.  For all these things I humbly
bow and say "thank you" with all my heart, on behalf of all these kids.  I
can't tell you how it saddens me to know that our fight for Kodo's life is
still far from being "won", but we can't give up now.  We have to fight even
harder now for Kodo and for ferrets everywhere, including those in our own
homes.

The truth is, ferrets are being needlessly killed in EVERY STATE, and
perhaps even in your own city.  Yes, Kodo is only "one ferret", but if we
can only win this battle we can show to the world that ferret owners will
not roll over and play dead when our loved ones are unjustly treated.  We
can use this case to change the court/legal system across our entire
country, if only we can win and then "grab the ball and run with it" where
each state, city, and county is concerned.  Kodo's story needs to be told
across this country and around the world, and with all the wonderful letters
and phone calls you folks have sent, we are well on our way to spreading his
story.  We have proven we are a united and a very strong group, we can't
quit now.

We have 9 days to save Kodo's life.  Running a shelter, there is simply "no
money" here to spare.  I can't tell you of all the outstanding shelter bills
I have, plus I need $500 worth of work to my vehicle now, I need to spend
$2000 to build a new roof over my home so the ferrets don't suffer from this
intense Texas heat this summer, I even have a bad filling and have needed to
go to the dentist for months now, but I must raise some funds before any of
these can be done....HOWEVER....in spite of these needs, I have sold a
couple of personal items in order to send money to help Kodo.  This check
will go into the mail on Monday.  The point of my saying this is I want
everyone to give serious though to reaching a little deeper in their pockets
for Kodo.  This is an important fight!  Those of you in the state of
Michigan *especially* need to reach deeply because this court case DIRECTLY
affects you and every single ferret companion you have.  If you can only
send $1.00, it can have great impact!  There are 2,902 subcribers to this
list now, if every individual can only send $1.00 that will add $2,902.00 to
Kodo's legal fund and might just be the $$ to save his life, and change the
court/legal system in favor of ferrets everywhere if we, as individuals,
don't "drop the ball" once the case is won.  (And just think of the impact
if everyone sent $2.00 or $3.00, or how about $1.00 per individual ferret
living in your home, what an impact that would make!)

It is truly sad that the justice system is so influenced by $$$, but we've
all seen it.  How many prominent, or wealthy, or powerful people have we
seen violate laws yet get off completely, or with a ridiculously light
punishment?  How many people who are "in the right" have we seen get
trampled in the courts simply because they didn't have wealth, prominence,
or power?  Yes, unfortunately, right and wrong is often determined by $$$ in
our so-called justice system.  This battle for Kodo, too, must be fought
with $$$ if we are to have the impact we need to win.  Once the case is won,
then we'll only need to fight with manpower in the form of letters and
personal contact with those who can change the laws so that our fuzzy
friends are given all the respect and consideration they rightly deserve.

If you missed yesterday's (Saturday's) FML, please go back and read that so
you'll understand exactly what is needed to save Kodo, and where we stand
now in this case.  Then, I implore you to dig through your couch cushions,
raid your savings accounts, piggy banks, matresses, milk jugs, and grandma's
cookie jar to scrape together a dollar or two to send to Kodo's legal fund.
DO IT for Kodo, an innocent victim who is not even guilty of biting anyone,
and DO IT for your own fuzzies...if we allow this injustice in Michigan, one
of your own fuzzies could be in Kodo's predicament next!!

>Send your checks to:
>Gloria Davis
>Treasurer, Great Lakes Ferret Association
>27654 Southpointe
>Grosse Ile, Michigan 48138
>ATTN: GLFA/LAF
>Please make checks payable to GLFA/LAF; they'll be allocated to the Legal
>Action Fund.
>Credit card donations can be called in to Robert Jacobs at (517) 777-4807.

Please write the letters and make the phone calls too, as Dave and Deb Les
requested yesterday.  These may also, make or break our case for Kodo.

Thanks for listening.

Trish
Director, Ferrets First Rescue & Shelter