From:
Cynthia ritenour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 2010 12:18:33 -0400
Dobbin, our four year old male ferret goes about his routines like
clockwork every day. Out of the cage, check the perimeters, find Mom,
wherever she is in the house, and follow her around until treats are
doled out. Well. this didn't change, despite what I learned when I
tried to do manicures yesterday.

I picked up Dobbin as is our once a week thing, and promptly placed a
quarter size dollop of oil on his tummy and started clipping his right
hind nails. He's used to this, and there were no problems, but when I
got to the left hid foot, he was touchy. He acted like I hurt him the
minute I grabbed the foot. On closer inspection, I noticed his outer
most toe is completely missing the nail. I don't know when this
happened, but it must have been recent, I feel bad that he hurts, but
I'm glad he didn't hang himself in his cage by his foot. I have checked
bedding etc, and cannot find the nail. I don't know how it happened, I
just know he's sore. It had sealed itself, so I didn't mess with it too
much. I am watching closely for swelling and/or redness in case it gets
infected. So far, so good.

The main concern is will this nail grow back? Will it be ingrown? What
should I watch for to be sure he has no further problems?

He's walking around on it fine, it doesn't seem to bother him, but does
not want me to mess with it. Too bad buster, I check it a couple times
a day to be sure it hasn't broken open, or developed an infection.
Anyway, has anyone any thoughts on things to look for?

Cindy & Dobbin
do great stuff