Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 15:07:51 +0100
Well, it has been an interesting weekend... one that ended with my husband
going to the hospital to get a couple of stitches put into his nose.  But
he knew what he did was wrong and he paid the price.

You see, we are in the middle of home renovations - getting rid of the last
of the carpet so that more tiles can be laid to make our lives a little
easier in the poop/pee clean up arena.  My husband was painting and I
was, er, um, supervising with my eyes shut.  Well little Ping got really
interested in the paint pan my husband was using and promptly made a quick
jaunt through it.  It wasn't hard to find her as all you had to do was to
follow those tiny little tracks she left behind.  Once my husband saw the
tracks, he dropped the roller and ran to catch up with her so she wouldn't
make more tracks, although they were quite decorative.  Poor little Ping
got scared at the sudden movement towards her and bolted like a ferret
outta hell.  My SO caught her and also caught a bite.  He scruffed her and
sharply said "NO!" and before he could get the O out of NO, she had him by
the right nostril.  The action that followed came too quick... he pulled
her away.  The result left him with a small, but painful reminder why one
should not try to release a ferret's grip by yanking.  He was a pitiful
site when I awoke... one hand cupped the life force that flowed from his
schnoz, whilst the other still held the scruffed Ping.  The look in his
eyes was so pitiful and full of surprise, I had to keep from laughing.  I
told him it was okay to let Ping down now, and got a cloth from the
kitchen.  After he explained what had happened, I asked him if he knew
whose fault it was that he was bleeding.  After getting the look that I
have seen millions of times before (you know, the one that says that you're
going to make me say it out loud aren't you) he admitted that he shouldn't
have yanked.  Patience truly is a virtue and especially so when pain is
involved.  He must have left his at work the day before.

On the way to the hospital, we knew it would be best if we didn't mention
the word ferret and decided it would be better for all involved if we just
blamed it on one of our cats.  The hospital technicians never blinked an
eye once they heard cat.  I must admit, after hearing some of the stories
on the FML, we were both very scared for our little girl's life.  It wasn't
her fault - she was scared and her reaction was all she knew what to do.
And although we had her proof of vaccination and rabies, we were uncertain
if more would come out of this.  Besides, in this day and age when the
ferrets future in many states is still under fire, who needs to spread more
negativity.  Would the Doctors and Nurses involved really understand that
it wasn't her fault?  I am afraid that all they would see is "ferret" and
"blood" and the word "attack" would soon follow.  I didn't want to take
that chance.  So yes, I lied.

I would do it again too if I had to.  But I can safely say this; I don't
think my husband will be yanking the next time one of our ferrets finds a
piece of flesh to hang from.

As for Ping, my husband is back to hugging and kissing her and even
bringing his ill fated nose close to her face again and schnuffling her
neck.  All is forgiven and peace reigns once more.

Betty and Her Blur O'Fur.