Date:
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 12:51:43 EDT
Lisa S.,
I am sorry to hear that your ferret is diabetic.  You should be able to
find Humulin-N (NPH) insulin at your local pharmacy, behind the counter.
As for the injections: Ferrets have thick, tough skin and can hardly feel
them.  The needles are so fine that even humans can't feel them!

You're going to want to watch to make sure that your ferret is getting
enough food during the day to ensure that he will not have an insulin
reaction during the night.  As with diabetic humans, if they don't get
enough food during the day and they have taken their insulin, they can get
sick during the night.  Your Vet should provide you with an insulin
schedule and feeding schedule, if you follow that, things should be fine.
Sometimes if the ferret's pancreas is making a little bit of insulin, the
diabetes can be controlled with diet alone.  It really is different for
each ferret.

Make sure that your ferret doesn't start to "stare off into space" during
playtime.  If he doesn't have enough to eat before or after he plays, he
can get really sleepy acting.  You may even have to change the Vet's
feeding schedule to something that works best for you and your ferret after
a while.  If you feel that something isn't right, call the vet or come to
us FMLers!

I can relate to your ferret.  I have been diabetic for 13 out of my 15
years.  Please let me know how things turn out.  Best wishes for you and
your ferret!

Meghan
Seven Star Ferrets - http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Ridge/3808/
Sabrina, Sebastian, Sylvester, Sasha, Sadie, Sir Phoenix, & Skylar.
"What did you guys do with my socks????"