Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 2006 16:38:59 -0700
Well, she's home!  Thank you all for your letters!

She made it through surgery, but she's not only very weak, she's also
still seizing, about 1 every hour or so.  She's very weak, so the
seizures are really small--dunno though if it's from the weakness or
that the surgery reduced the cause but didn't stop them completely.

I was hoping that this was "just" insulinoma...he did find a tumor on
her pancreas, which he excised, but the seizures are still there.  One
thing (well, two) that he found: a full, whole and discrete second
spleen.!  Both were misshapen and tumorous, so he removed them both.
(We can live without a spleen..but she had a spare?!)

I'm feeding her very diluted chicken gravy, about 2 ccs every hour or
so...she is actually licking the end of the syringe now, where earlier I
was having to squirt it in the side of her mouth.  My vet also suggested
Carnivore care, so I bought a packet, but for now I'm just using the
chicken gravy.

When she seizes I hold her head and her front paws gently until it's
over...she's deaf, so I don't verbally comfort her, but I know my
presence and smell comforts her.

The reason I talked about love of a human versus love of an animal is
that I called my friend when Daisy crashed, and her response was "I've
lost 5 friends this past year.  Just wait until you lose a loved one."
These _are_ my loved ones!  I don't do human friendship very well--I
just can't seem to connect--but with animals it's different.  I
understand animals.

I see all of these posts about overfull shelters, and I just want to
shout "Send them to me!"  If these guys were legal here, I'd love so
many more...

The last two I have are both older--the last of my geriatric crew.
Azrael, Fizzbinn, Fatboy, Miranda, and Oliver all came to me as rescues,
and this was their forever home until they left me this last year.
Atlantis was who I feared would be next, since he was bonded with Fizz
for 7 years...I helped Fizz on his way less than a month ago, and
Altantis has been like a limp sock without him.  Daisy crashing took me
completely by surprise.  I'm hoping, and I won't stop hoping, but I know
chances are pretty good that I lose both of them before the year is out.

Daisy just dragged herself out of the little round dog bed full of
blankies I have her in, next to me...she dragged herself across the
floor until she felt she was far enough, and peed.  YAY!  First action
she's done on her own, and first fluid she's passed today (so I'm
hopefully getting enough fluids into her.

-cobalt