From:
Helga Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 May 2007 08:47:56 -0700
Mandy,

I'm a day late with reading the FML and just see your post.

I can almost guaranty you that your little boy has adrenal problems.
My Charlie started to do this years ago. He would grab boys and girls
alike and hump them. He grab on to their ears and go in to a trance
like state. It was almost impossible to get him to release. The only
way he would let go was after I held some Nutrical or Ferretone in
front of his nose.( Don't put it on his nose if he is in a trance he
might breeze it in!) I had to separate him from the others until after
his surgery if I was not there to watch him.He would suck the ears
until they appeared raw. That stopped after surgery.

Your boy is only 3 years and that is not old. Unless he has other
problems, surgery is still the best choice. I'm worried though that
your vet has no clue about these symptoms and I would make sure he is
confident and experienced enough to such a surgery. Very important also
that he knows what to do if something goes wrong afterward. Just make
sure you choose a ferret knowledgeable vet.

If this will be your first experience with a ferret surgery I would
suggest you inform yourself beforehand on how to care for him.
After-care is so important for good recovery. Sukie has a nice post
about this and I'm sure its in the FML archives. Searchable archives: