From:
Ela Heyn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jun 1998 11:17:02 EDT
>>I have also read that ferrets will attack rabbits.  Is this domesticated
>>ferrets too?

>Personally, I think "attack" is a bit strong.  Ferrets were (and sometimes
>still are) used in hunting rabbits.  But what they really do is just run
>down a rabbit burrow and flush the rabbit out so the hunter can shoot it.
>So, yes, it is domestic ferrets that are being discussed.

Well, I have a rabbit and two ferrets, and "attack" sounds just about right
to me.  Of course, it varies a lot by ferret, too!

My younger boy, Scooter, is fascinated by the bunny, but a bit intimidated,
too.  He thinks the bunny is sort of a big windup toy that's just a lot of
fun to play with.  Scooter also particularly enjoys trying to tug on
Waldorph's (the bunny's) ears, and chasing him and trying to tackle him to
the ground.  While I don't think Scooter intends to EAT Waldorph, I think he
would kill him if they were left unsupervised together for even just five or
ten minutes.  (They never are, btw).

Paddington, my older ferret, would *undoubtedly* kill Waldorph if given a
good opportunity.  Paddington just has a really strong hunting instinct,
and he'll attack anything that looks tempting ... despite the fact that the
other thing (like Waldorph) is several times his size.  Those two are never
together.

- Ela