From:
petersen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Nov 1999 14:40:50 -0600
Well, this is from our experience with running a shelter for two years.
We have had some ferrets come through the shelter that don't want to play
with any of the other shelter ferrets, that attack without provocation or
warning any other ferret they are near, but that love humans.  We consider
these to be "loner" ferrets.  However, we have had a couple of experiences
that lead us to believe that a ferret who is a loner in the shelter may or
may not be one in a home environment.  We adopted one ferret out to a
family with several other ferrets, and we warned them that this ferret
did not like other ferrets.  They took the ferret home and there were no
problems.  Another ferret that seemed to get along with others was adopted
and attacked the owner's other ferrets, so she was returned to us.  So now
we say "your results may vary" and explain what our experiences with the
ferret have been.

As for picking out shelter ferrets, we're sure that many shelters do things
in different ways.  This is the way our shelter works.  If people have
other ferrets, we encourage them to bring them to the shelter (after
warning about ECE exposure).  Of course, ferrets that play together in the
shelter environment may or may not get along in their new home.  That's
why we have a 30 day money back promise in our contract.  Thirty days is
usually long enough to see whether or not the ferrets will get along with
their new family.  Many people also have an idea about what they want in
a ferret (ie, younger than 2 years, single female, etc.).  Of course,
sometimes lightning strikes and you fall in love with the family of 4...

Kurt & Sara Petersen
FURRY (Ferrets Underfoot RUnning Round You)
http://members.igateway.net/~furry

Help raise money for the shelter!  Click on
http://www.iGive.com/html/ssi.cfm?cid=5129