From:
Debbie Utter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 10:22:05 -0500
Except for a couple of sniffs through a cage and some very brief, closely
supervised encounters, there hasn't been any contact between the new kit
(Klondike) and my four ferrets.  Still, they're having a hard time
accepting Klondike.  I've been having separate play times, so Klondike's
smell is through the house.  The girls, who I got as a pair in March 1999,
were my last adoptees, so this is the first time they've had to accept a
new addition.  The boys have been through this before.  Overnight, both
girls turned down their banana treat for the first time ever, and have
diarhea/runny poops.  I found green seedy poop and puddles in the pen this
morning.  Sally's poop is pretty much water at this point.  I haven't been
able to monitor if the girls are eating okay, but I have today off and will
be watching them closely.  I'm hoping this is all stress-related and will
pass once they realize that Klondike isn't going anywhere.  Should I worry
that this is more serious?  How long will it take before their poops return
to normal if this is stress?

Also, the kit was sneezing at the store, and the lady said it was due to
the pine shavings.  I figured it would pass after a couple of days, but
he's still doing some sneezing.  Should I be concerned?

When it comes time to integrate the group, how much can the new kit take?
Can he hold his own with four adult ferrets?  Obviously, I'll try to do
introductions one-on-one, but if (when) an adult ferret bites him, how much
should I allow before breaking things up?  Sorry to be such a worry wart,
but the only time I had a kit in the house was when he was the only ferret
I had!  I was nervous enough when adding to the crew and adults were going
at it - now that I have four adults with one baby, I'm worried about them
hurting him.