Date:
Sun, 7 Sep 2008 06:12:05 -0700
>From:    Lesley Colton <[log in to unmask]>
>
>I cry every time I see the ASPCA ad on T.V. featuring Sarah
>McLaughlin's song and photos of sad, homeless, neglected animals. I am
>supportive of the ASPCA and their efforts. HOWEVER, I do notice that
>ferrets are apparently INVISIBLE or maybe they don't need ANY help.
>They are never shown or mentioned by the ASPCA. At first, I thought
>maybe the ASPCA dealt only with dogs and cats.

It seems to be commonly accepted that a "Pet" is a Dog or Cat. HUD
Subsidized housing rules specifically state a landlord can charge a
Pet deposit for only a Dog or Cat. Any animal other than that should
be covered by a Doctors order for a Companion animal. Then the animal
is covered under Federal Persons With Disabilities rules. Landlords
do not want to mess with those people.

In the newspaper here in Portland Oregon a woman writes a Pet article
and deals only with Dogs and Cats. I objected to that "discrimination"
but soon learned she and the newspaper are right. A Dog or Cat is a
Pet. The Feds say other animals are "companion Animals". And if you
have a Doctors order are covered under Federal rules.

I can hand carry a Ferret onto a City Bus here In Portland, and if
the driver says it has to be caged, I simply tell him its a Companion
Animal. They will not pursue that any further knowing they are messing
with Federal Law rather than their own rules.

Seems commonly accepted that a "Pet" is a Dog or Cat, other animals
are "Companion Animals".

Frank.

--

   Never forget 9/11 and the cost of FREEDOM! 'Tedra'
     Ferrets: http://oakgrovedesigns.net/ferretSS