From:
Susie Sherman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Apr 1997 22:43:29 +0100
>From:    Shellie Sorensen <[log in to unmask]>
>as i said, i live in florida, like you.  you were questioning about hartz'
>version of advantage.

Welcome, Shellie!  It has been nice to see so many fellow Floridian ferret
enthusiasts posting to the FML lately!

As I told Barbara in private email, I won't use Hartz products on my pets.
I have heard too many stories about poisoning.  I also personally saw a
ferret come into the rescue that had been treated with Hartz products and a
couple of months later developed health problems which necessitated the
removal of a kidney.

I know it is pure heresay and I have no solid proof linking the two, but I
figure why risk it when there are several good products available that are
being used on ferrets without causing problems?  I use Program, dosed at 45
mg, once a month.  The rescue uses Advantage and loves the results.  I
wasn't as happy with Advantage and didn't like that my ferrets couldn't get
wet.  They all love to lick the tub after showers; some even like to swim in
the pool/spa.

There's also a number of natural flea products available through Natural Pet
Care Catalog (800 962-8266).  I can't vouch for these products as I haven't
used them though.  Some on the FML have though...

Good luck as we batten down the hatches against what should be one hell of a
flea season - what with no winter to speak of this year!!

Susie Sherman
Member of:
Brevard Ferret Lovers Rescue