From:
Chris Berry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jun 1997 11:28:24 -0400
>-- that "except in two states, Alaska and West Virginia, the ferret
>historically has been categorized as a wild animal." [no cite]
>Massachusetts would have at least made a third.  The Bay State's old ban on
>ferrets had to do with their status as a WORKING animal.

I had absolutely no idea about the WV part.  My boyfriend's boss told me
that she used to have a pair before they were legalized in WV (around 12 or
so years ago I think, but it could be longer, I vaguely remember when it
happened) and someone turned here in.  Do you know where her ferrets went?
To the game farm.  I don't remember them ever having any animals they
claimed were "domestic" out at the game farm and I've been there many times.
Not that it means anything, I just found it curious after I read the FML
this morning.

On a funny note, my boyfriend has decided that he wants to carry Fidget
around with us but he won't use the ferret sack because "it looks like a
purse." So he insisted I fitted up his bicycling fanny pack for Fidget.  The
first trail run went like this:

Chad: I can't tighten it, he's going to just fall out.
Fidget: What they heck are they doing?
Chad: Ok, put him in here. <fanny pack worn in front, ferret being put
in after he has woken up and is rarin' to go explore>
Chad: Hey, he jumped out! <Fidget, having his harness on and attatched
to the hook with length of lead inside has gone overboard and is
suspended from the "ferret pack" looking quite confused as I rush to his
rescue>
Me: lots of laughing and tears of humor as I unhook Fidget and let him down.
Chad: I can't possibly take him to the cable office, they'll notice him in
the pack if I sit down.

And thus ended the first expedition.  I am hoping of course to shorten the
hook lead inside the ferret pack so Fidget won't have enough rope to go
overboard.  He loves to go with us but it's hard to take him anywhere if
there is only one of us because he is such a handfull.  And we always get a
very good response when people see him.

cheers
chris b
Fidget