From:
Joanne Gelormino <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Mar 1998 19:34:00 -0500
Ann Gruden of FACT asked me to post this update of Mira, our rescue who was
stepped on and had bleach spilled on her.

MIRA Update - March 15, 1998
Our apologies, once again, for the delay in updating everyone on Mira's
progress.  We kept hoping that we'd be able to report on Mira's surgery, but
as of yet, she is still in a holding pattern.  She is still scheduled to
have reconstruction surgery on her leg, but once again, the date has been
postponed indefinitely until all the healing that Mother Nature and time
provide has been exhausted.

We can report that Mira has become quite the brat!  It's amazing just how
quick animals (and some people too!) can turn a disadvantage into an
advantage!  In her case, Mira has learned to play on the emotions of the
shelter staff to get her way and to get away - with close to - murder!  Yes,
Mira nips!  She will tackle hands, fingers and, when the spirit especially
moves her and she thinks no one will catch her, ankles and insteps!  Her
secret?  Knowing just how to be exceptionally cute and doing her very best
"roll-over-on-your-back" and "who could hit a poor, physically-challenged"
handicapped ferret?  No one can, of course!  So, we've had to take to
putting her back into the "old lady room" whenever her exuberant spirit gets
the better of her usually fine temperament while she's out in the "main"
section of the house for her continuing nightly physical therapy sessions.

Physically, Mira continues her Mira-specialized hoping and side leaping.

I continue to try to get a photo of her in her very special Mira pose which
looks more like that of a prairie dog than a ferret's!  It's her way of
climbing up higher to get a better view of the world - instead, she sits up
on her hind legs and can almost twirl halfway around in a pirouette to see
what's happening!

Moxie
http://www.ferret-fact.org/