From:
michelle trocine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 May 2000 17:13:28 -0700
Yes, I am a ferret addict even though right now I only have four ferrets.
For the longest time I didn't find it too hard to take care of all my
fuzzies.  Now that I moved into a 2 bedroom apt they also have their own
room that makes it alot easier on me and they are also out so much more.
They are only in their cage when no one is home.  The only thing that might
cause people trouble with a large number of ferrets is vet bills.  With
me every ferret gets sick back to back or all at once(when they had ECE).
While they were all youngsters they were pretty healthy but now that my
ferrets or most of my ferrets(3 of them) are getting older the money spent
on vet bills piles up.  I did have 5 ferrets and just had one pass from
Lymphosarcoma about a month ago his vet bills for the time he had cancer
totaled to $450.This was spent on xrays, meds,sub Q fluids, possible herbal
remedies and multiple vet visits.  A few weeks before the cancer diagnosis
I had adopted 2 ferrets-one of them had a lump on it's neck that was
surgically removed and the other I had it's blood tested to rule out
insolinoma because the ferret seemed sluggish to me and ,hey, I'm a worry
wart($275-not too bad actually).  Now I have another old timer (7 plus
yrs)with adrenal that I finally found a vet who is going to get Lupron for
Baby :-) hopefully this week (another $200-$250).  And don't even mention
the greenies****I had to have one of my old guys hospitalized for 4 days at
an ER vet because of dehydration and this ferret refusing to drink along
with check ups for the other ones totaled $1400(Yikes).  I must be crazy
though because I love the little guys sooooo much I wouldn't think twice
about getting another except I wouldn't want to expose it to the
greenies-the two I adopted had ECE already.  My friends think I'm crazy but
ferrets are a feel good addiction.  The minute I get home from work, not
matter how stressful the day has been the little buggers always manage to
bring a smile to my face:-)

Michelle and the four fuzzbutts