From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Nov 2008 13:18:22 -0500
I have never encountered ANY studies indicating that neutering or early
neutering have ANY effect on heart disease in ferrets, but there is
intriguing new work on cardiomyopathy in multiple species indicating
a genetic component. I don't have time to search on that for you but
suggested places and links are in my sig lines. Don't forget the PubMed
website:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

and try the search term

cardiomyopathy genetics

Now, diet CAN play a role in the development of cardiomyopathy.
Insufficient taurine plays a large role for cats, appears to possibly
play a role for ferrets, and plays a role with some large breeds of
dogs (so those with some large breed dogs may want to make sure their
dogs get some more taurine than other dogs get in their food):
http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/136/10/2525
http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/reprint/136/10/2525

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links: