From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Feb 2006 19:43:21 -0500
Here is just one of a number of posts on this from ferret pathology
expert, Dr. Bruce Williams, followed by one by Dr. Jerry Murray,
famous for improving ferret veterinary knowledge:

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=YG4053

>Ferrets do not get colds.  Colds are due to rhinoviruses, which are
>species specific virus.  Ferrets may get influenza, but not colds.
>
>Ferrets with upper respiratory infections should see a vet prior to
>starting on any medication.  Benedryl, as you say, is an antihistamine,
>and generally has little effect on symptoms of upper respiratory
>infection - it is really an anti-allergy medication.  Recently on
>this list, we all witnessed the death of a ferret from using an
>over-the-counter cold medication, based on the errant information that
>ferrets get colds.  Tonight I have seen another post about a ferret with
>a cold, incorrect information that continues to be passed unwittingly,
>even on this list.
>
>Flus, or mild upper respiratory infections are not life-threatening in
>ferrets.  As owners, we tend to want to treat these conditions, because
>we feel sorry for the animals, but over-the-counter meds are not
>formulated for ferrets, and they contain ingredients that are of no
>benefit to ferrets, and may even be hazardous.  For this reason, and
>the recent reinforcement of the tragic death of a ferret following use
>of a human cold product, that I know longer recommend these products for
>use in a ferret.
>
>As long as your ferret continues to eat and drink sufficiently, no
>medication is generally the best approach, and if the signs appear
>significant, then a vet visit is generally in order.

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=SG14084

Ferrets can and do get the human flu!  Ferrets do not get the common
cold.  Ferrets can get upper respiratory infections from bacteria also.

Hope that clears things up,
Jerry Murray, DVM