From:
Catherine Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jun 1999 13:15:45 EDT
Sorry folks.  I haven't posted in a while and now you get me twice in one
day..................

Ed, now there is a topic I applaud.  I think more pet cemeteries are
needed, and at a more affordable rate that some of the ones I've seen.  As
a renter, I would like to know where a beloved pet is interred.  It would
give me comfort.  And I personally like the added touch of the American
Flag and religious symbol (if desired) holder, plus the picture.  The
setting sounds lovely, too.  Question, though.  Would you accept ferrets
for interment that are "out of area?" I'm sure some of us would like to
know.

Now, on to a different topic.........

Sorry, but the topic of a person's income being a determining factor to
ferret ownership, I disagree with.  As far as "Soup Kitchen" volunteerism,
I applaud it.  Volunteering, however, does not give one a "true picture" of
what happens down there.  I WORKED at one (read employee here) for 5 1/2
years before I came up to Direct the Disabilities Office.  I've seen people
(and bored you all with my stories before) who were hurting and went out of
there way to care for their pets FIRST, even when they themselves where
hungry or needed something desperately.  I've seen guys save half their
lunch to give their pet.  I've also seen guys use animals as part of a
panhandling scam, but, that's another story........

No, I don't advocate homeless people acquiring pets until their condition
improves.  I also don't think they should immediately discard their pets
if they had them before the homelessness either.

As far as "poor" people owning pets.........well, now there I get frosted.
You know, I've lived in the same HUD apartment for 16 years come August.
(I've just started managing them for my 14th.........)  Obviously, folks,
my income is not huge.  But I work for non profits by choice, so this is
not a complaint, just a fact.  I also have three children and four ferrets,
also by choice.  Now, my CHILDREN and my FERRETS come first.  I do without,
as many, many others of you do, to provide for them.  I love them, play
with them, and have been teased by someone on this list for my ferrets
having "the shortest nails around" for clipping them once a week.  I have
also been told, by this same person (I'm telling on you Maggie) that I have
"porcelain" ferrets because of the way I treat them.  I take care of their
boxes.  I clean their cages.  I kiss them.  I play with them.  I adore
them.  And if they need vet care, I WILL find a way, if I have to work
nights at a 7-11.

Bottom line, don't think the amount shown on a person's W-2 forms indicates
what kind of a ferret parent they will be/are.

Please, please, please don't judge or stereotype.  It's not healthy for all
of us.

Catherine, Pato, Snowball, Hubert and Elsie
"Behind The Zion Curtain"