From:
David Whitman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Jan 1997 21:16:57 -0500
Great to be back with all you fuzzy lovers.  Since we last subscribed to the
"digest", we have aquired 3 more :) Counting our son's, Taz(short for the
Tazmanian Devil), we have *7*.  Amazing how you start with one, and in a
short time, multiply to a gang.

Recently, we had a scarey experience with one of our females, Oprah.  She
started to lose hair and had a swollen vulva.  My wife consulted two of our
local vets(by phone) - received advise ranging from "operate", to "an
operation possibly wont work".  Cost, ranging from $300.00 to $500.00, with
little hope, but "bring her in and we will see what can be done".  This was
a perplex situation; on one side the love for your ferret, on the other a
possible $300.00 + expense.

Having little experience with ferret health issues, and emotionally
desperate, I called the "shelter" in our area, Ferret Wise.  A short time
ago, I had the pleasure of meeting Alicia Drakiotes, co-owner with her
husband Deno.  Their shelter is in Marlborough, NH 03455, phone number
603-876-4975.  Alicia professionally advise me, connected me with a GREAT
Vet, Ms. Donna Harwood, DVM.  ALicia, went on to explain to me in great
detail all about the operation and how successful it is in most cases - hope
for Oprah.  Additionally , she said the operation would be around $100.00(it
ended up to be less).

Alicia, also disgusted nutritional facts and ferret care.  We not only
gained a healthily ferret(Oprah is doing fine), we also gained vast
knowledge, and made an important friend(s).  Oh, yes - we also gained two
new boys.  You guessed it, we adopted Angus and Rex.  Both boys had been up
for adoption since July 96, Alicia told me Angus has a behavioral problem,
he likes to bite sometimes :( She proved to be right.  Angus just bite me in
the leg as I was typing this letter.  He didn't act as though he liked the
taste ... I bet he wont do that again ... Oh, well that's being a ferret
owner.  They just let you know who is boss.

A rewarding and interesting experience was to be exposed to the wonderful
things that FERRET WISE a no kill shelter, does to help ferrets and to
educate the public as to their domesticated nature, and many times,
undeserving abuse.  These two wonderful human beings are dedicate to ferrets
and their existence.  If any of you live in this area, PLEASE do yourself a
favor and meet all the p:)ple at Ferrt Wise.  They need help with donations
and material to operate this much needed shelter.  Rally around, and donate.

Alicia, Deno, Helpers, and Ferrets - thanks for all your support, advise
and most of all your love for the fuzzys.

David and Andrea Whitman