From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Aug 1996 17:42:05 -0400
**The advice dispensed by myself in reference to FML postings is not meant
to supplant the advice of veterinarians who are in charge of the patient.
If the patient is not currently under the care of a veterinarian, the client
is recommended to take their ferret to one.**

>From:    Donna Bear <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferret Medical Question

Osteosarcomas are pretty rare in ferrets.  I would opt for the biopsy to see
exactly what it is and to see whether you are talking short or long term
life for your ferret.

>From:    Anthony Lucas <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Intro, Apologies and a Clarification on Vet Answers
>I am Julia Lucas BSC BVMS (equivalent to a DVM in the States)

I ll start with the easy answers first. A meat based protein source kitten
chow is accepatable if a ferret kibble is not available.

Now the hard answer to why tumors are not as common in the United Kingdom,
Australia, etc.  We don t know why.  One theory touted is that the early
spay/neuter that occurs in the USA is responsible.  Lately that has fallen
from favor and more is being blamed on genetics.  Most ferrets in the USA
are from Marshall Farms (a ferret breeding/ marketing company) and the
progenitor stock is restricted.

>From:    Robert Fein <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Worried about a blockage
>We found that our fuzzies had stolen one of their squeaky toys and had
>managed to get the ears off of it...

Not easily.  X-rays and barium studies are very diagnostic but not
inexpensive.

Mike Dutton, DVM, DABVP
Weare Animal Hospital
Weare, NH.