From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 2003 08:47:32 -0400
Shron and Rocky write
>Are ferrets who have not been neutered until they were 6 mos. old less
>likely to get adrenal disease?

I don't know "less likely", but neutering at that age, alas, does not
prevent adrenal.  My first 4 ferrets were 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 months when
altered, and they all developed adrenal disease at ages 2 1/2 to 5 years.
My two youngest girls were allowed to go through a heat cycle and spayed
at 8 months.  They are only 2 1/2 now, no adrenal signs.

>Another question about descenting: Is it harmful to the health of the
>ferret? In some parts of Europe it is illegal to descent them.
>
>On a lighter note, what does a descented ferrets poof (not poop) smell
>like?  Skunk?  Farts?  Just how bad is it?  Does the ferret itself smell
>any different, in general?

In a small number of ferrets, there can be problems from improperly
removed anal sacks, with recurring infections, but in the vast majority
of cases, there are no ill effects.  But in my opinion, the surgery is
entirely unnecessary.  My last 4 are undescented, and it makes no
difference in their day to day odor.

A poof, while not pleasant, dissipates quickly. If a ferret poofs on you,
the smell washes off easily just with water.

My general recommendation--wait as long as you can to neuter, and do not
descent.

Linda Iroff
Oberlin OH