From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 16:17:40 -0400
Dear XXX - I do believe that you will probably get varied answers depending
on who you ask.  I am a firm believer in straight baby food, but those who
advocate enhanced duck soups will probably be able to give you a persuasive
argument as to why theirs is the best.

For my money, the baby food provides all of the nutrients an ill ferret
needs in the short term, and I recommend adding a high quality ground
ferret chow to the mix in increasing quantities once the animal is back
on a good plane of nutrition.

What is more of interest to me at this point is what your vet means by the
"onset of insulinoma".  Is the animal hypoglycemic?  How was this diagnosis
arrived at, and why were meds not discussed?  True hypoglycemia is not
easily managed simply by diet.

With kindest regards,
Bruce H. Williams, DVM, DACVP

Join the Ferret Health List at