Date:
Sat, 25 Jan 1997 18:01:33 -0800
Weight/Size:
I got a bit of a shocker at the Vet's yesterday.  I took Worf in for his
third distemper shot, and seeing Katie was due for hers in about a month, I
decided to just get them both done so they'd be in sync.  Katie has been
very consistent over the last three years as far as her weight goes, 1.75
lbs summer or winter.  She is one of those "Greyhound" ferrets, never gets a
really thick winter coat, always very trim.  Well SURPRISE!!  Katie weighed
in at right on 2 lbs!!!(last visit 1 month ago she was 1.7 lbs) That's the
most she has ever weighed.  I am now totally convinced that getting her a
brother for Christmas was the best thing in the world for her.  Now, Worf is
just over 3 months old and from 1.9 lbs 1 month ago, he's up to a whopping
2.8 lbs!!!  I have a feeling he's going to be one of those *monstrous early
alters* I hear about now & then.

Vacuums:
Katie has always disliked the sound of the vac.  She'll run and hide in her
cage or the bath room closet until the noise is over.  She is not afraid of
the vac.  itself, it lives in one of her favorite hidey spots.  (living room
closet) Worf on the other hand, thinks it's a BIG toy.  Hey, anything that
moves is fair game!!  He started playing tag with it the other night, first
it chased him (when I pushed) and then he chased it.  (when I pulled back)
It was pretty cute.

Kit-Stuff:
Ferret owners RULE #1: Never make the mistake of assuming that what is
ferret-proof for one fuzzy is ferret-proof for all fuzzies.  Worf is finding
more un-ferret-proof "things" in my house than I ever imagined possible.
Right now he's in a *Jumping Faze*, and doing it very well indeed.  He can
make a 4 foot jump from the arm of the couch to the seat of the swivel
rocker, and an equal or longer distance from the cage door (3' up from the
floor) to my bed.  He doesn't bother to use the ramps to access the 2nd &
3rd level of the cage, he just hops right up there.  Getting in the bathtub
is no challenge at all.  I've had to raise the height of the "Ferret Gate"
not once but twice to keep him from jumping right over.  I even had to make
it so the top 12" can be taken off & on easily so us HUMANS can get over it.
Ah Well, last week it was toilet bowl swimming and curtain climbing, and
before that it was lamp tipping and Q-tip eating.  But at least he's great
with the litter box, and the nipping is WAY down.  :)

I took both Katie & Worf out in the fresh snow today.  It was Worf's first
time, and boy did he have a blast!!  He danced and snorkeld, snuffled and
sneezed, hopped and rolled.  Katie actually snorkled a bit too, and she's
never really liked the snow before.  Maybe tomorrow we'll try for some
pictures.

Amy
Katie: Mom! Worf squished my head in the snow!
Worf: Oh Wow, Cool, what is this stuff? c'mon Katie let's play!!!!!!