From:
MELANIE BORDNER <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 May 2006 00:25:18 -0400
Hi everyone,

I am back to ask more about the anal gland situation with my ferret,
Treeroo.  I had him to two different vets who both agree it is his anal
gland.  It is VERY enlarged and sore looking and apparently is sore as
he squirms when it is messed with.  It is one-sided.

I am confused....I thought when ferrets are descented/neutered....they
have their anal glands removed.  Please, I am sorry if I just made a fool
of myself.  I do know he is an MF ferret and he is about 4 years old.
He has never had anal gland issues before.

He was sick and treated about half a year ago with a real bad stomach
ailment.  Other than that, he has been a picture of health.

My question.....this "lump" aka anal gland...appears to be growing.  Does
it automatically mean cancer if it grows???  Or can any tumor metastasize
and NOT be cancer??

Also, how risky is anal gland surgery?  I mean I know any surgery can be
risky, but one vet seems to think it is a piece of cake surgery and the
other said it could be tricky.

I am having a board certified vet surgeon do the procedure.  She is VERY
good.  All local vets refer all difficult cases to her.

Also, what can I expect after the surgery?  I was told they would
probably leave it open to "drain".  Is there any chance of him bleeding
to death??  And will I have to take any special care when he comes home??

What are the recovering expectations?

I have searched the FML archives, but really did not find much to answer
my concerns.

Thank you to all of you who have responded to my prior post seeking
advice this last week.  I apologize for not responding to each of you
prior to this.  I have been pretty sick with severe neck pain and
migraine and really hadn't had much of a chance to do much this past
week which has also made it difficult to do too much research on my own.

Treeroo goes in for surgery this Tuesday.  So please keep him in your
prayers.  I do not want to lose him (or any of the others)!!  He is the
clown of my group!!

Thank you!
Melanie