From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jun 2003 14:33:08 EDT
>3) What is the KIT gene responsible for?  I gave up looking, couldn't
>figure it out.

KIT is a specific gene that is responsible for cell growth, cell
survival, and cell differentiation.  When mutated or expressed it causes
white spotting, piebaldism, gi problems, deafness, etc.  Also if it is
mutated at the W locus (white spotting locus) it causes some sort of
deletion of amino acids, which then messes up the migration of cells
from the neural crest area.  It works by interfering with the migration
of cells from the neural crest to the right places and to do the right
things in other words.  You ever see really splotchy ferrets?  It is
thought that they may truly have this form of piebaldism caused by a KIT
gene, rather than Waardenburg syndrome caused by the Pax3, and others
genes (supposedly such as the MITF gene)..... or that these ferrets may
have both.  I think that may all be theoretical, generalized over from
basic genetics and studies of many other mamals.

This is my very rough understanding of it.  I"m writing Brett Middleton
and even Sukie to see if this is a fair explanation for you.

Wolfy

Win the White Russian Quilt!
http://help4adv.terrabox.com/WRMQ.html
Wolfy's site has MOVED to: