From:
Aarrow-Ranch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jun 2011 09:41:51 -0400
Ferrets will tell you just about anything if you take the time to
figure out how they 'talk' to ya. Pester has a way to tell me she wants
a little TLC by first one paw lands on my arm and then another and
soon a hind leg comes up and then the other and on that goes. This
happens when I put my arm in the cage to just pet her or maybe do some
straightening out in the cage and all. What she is telling me is "Hey
Buddy ! I need some TLC ! I know ya got it so hand it over, Buddy !".
So I gently pick her up and hold her in my arms while walking around
stroking her back. She rests her chin on my arm that tells me another
statement, she then is saying she feels comfortable being held, she
feels save and is happy to be there and relaxed and safe. If a ferret
could smile she would have a huge grin ear to ear.

She does this usually in the morning but will do that almost any time
of day. She gets very calm in my arms and is quite content to just ride
it out but then there are times when she is telling me she wants DOWN
!!!! So I slam her into the floor and when she comes to I let her run
around. Ha! Actually I set her onto the rug and just watch her do the
daily war dance and race to run the length of the couch behind it
popping out to take a peek at me from the corner and then run off into
the living room to inspect everything there.

It never ceases to amaze me how they will instantly go to anything that
is different in that room every time. They have a great memory and
recognize the slightest change every time. I guess they don't do math
where they never see the changes in my check book ledger. Or maybe they
just don't care! Ha! Of all the pets I have had in my life the ferret
by far is the best animal. Each animal has their strengths and values
but the ferret has more of everything but in a very different way. I
do know a ferret will come to recognize their name.

Kodo once had climbed to the top of his six foot tall cage and was on
the top. He had been up there probably all day resting on a small piece
of ply wood which was the only comfort up there. Standing or walking on
that wire must have been a trial. I had been looking for him for a few
hours and could not find him. Just by chance I had my camera with me
and I looked over to the cage and damn! There on top was this warm
lump of fur! In that instant he saw that I had seen him and recognized
him but I said his name. With that he lifted his head up as high as
he could knowing he had been fully recognized. I got a step stool
and picked him up. He was shaking thinking he had done wrong but I
immediately quelled that thought and for sure he was VERY happy to
have been rescued. I still have that movie clip and look at it time
to time. Truly a gift.

So off to weed my no lead gasoline plants.

Gordon and Pest R. Doodle

DrillEnvelope