From:
"Woods, Kathryn STG2 (USS McFAUL)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Oct 2002 12:24:38 -0400
Alexandra,

Beautifully put.  I like your points, especially on the idea that things
aren't /fact/ (I use the word "fact" because "truth" is so often tied
to philosophical and theological ideas) unless they can be measured &
duplicated.  Philosophy is fine, it really is, but for me there's a
problem when someone takes something philosophical (such as intentions,
"energy", etc...) and tries to claim a scientific basis for them.

I am also glad and impressed by the methods that Mary uses to grow and
prepare her mixtures.  It sounds on the up-and-up, and the fact that she
uses sterile equipment is top-notch too.  If I were interested in herbal
preparations, I would definitely go to Mary.

The problem isn't that /Mary/ does these things, but that there's very
little regulation to ensure that other people or companies do the same.
I generally stay away from the "natural medicine" part of the
drugstore/health food store for this reason: I can't be sure I'm getting
what I think I'm getting, or that it was even safely prepared.  If I'm
not willing to put it into myself, I'm not going to put it into my ferts.

Okay, okay, so my ferts are two plushie stuffed animals.  /Still/.  ;)

 -- Kat