From:
Janice Boyle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jan 1997 02:53:31 +0000
Dear Grieving  One,
I feel your pain, my friend.  Most all of us have been there by now.  We are
an elite group of people in that only those who have loved a ferret can
understand what it means to lose one.  The pain is even greater if it seems
the little one is taken in what seems to us to be untimely time.  I can only
say that it will get better for you and the grieving little one.  Different
things work for different ferrets and people as well.  I believe you and
your grieving little one can gain strength from each other.  More holding,
more loving, more talking to, more feeding ferretone from your fingers, more
treat offers, more attention all together everyday, for what may be weeks.
IT IS HEALING!

In addition, you need to use food supplements, like duck soup (my babies all
love it and will eat it whether well or sick) You may have to feed him from
a dropper or from your fingers for quite a while, but it will turn around.
Even after one and one-half years, I cry when I allow myself to think about
my gone baby.  Mostly, I think because I feel she was taken before her time.
But mostly my days are filled being busy and fulfilled taking care of the
ones who are still with me.  Hugs and kisses and much affection every day
because we never know when it will be the last.  The recipe I use most is
power packed: canned Science Diet A|D, ground up dry food, FRUIT flavored
Pedialyte(I use generic ),Brewers yeast (just a sprinkle-don't overdo here),
linatone, and I also add Nutri-Cal OR ferret vitamins.  This 'soup' works
miracles.  If you would like specific recipies, I will mail them to you at
no cost.  I have shared often and it is my greatest pleasure to do so.
There are several other recipes, also and ferrets(like people have different
tastebuds), so you may need to experiment.  When my little guy was grieving
(before I learned about supplements), all I saw him eat was
mini-marshmallows which I gave him out of desperation.  I know supplement
meal saved his life.  In case you have not gotten it before, I will just go
ahead and give you the recipe (should have in the first place)

Please realize this recipe makes quite a bit and you can freeze some, or
reduce the recipe down for one ferret.  It can be safely kept in the refrig.
for I'd say no more than 4 days, because of the meat.

3 cans Science Diet A|D  This can only be bought at vet's office
3\4 cup of finely ground ferret dry food or whatever your ferret eats, Iams,
Science Diet, ProPlan, etc.
3\4 to 2 cups of fruit flavored Pedialyte (ferrets don't seem to like
other flavors like they do the fruit
Nutri-Cal  1\2 teaspoon (this can be optional if you do not have it on hand)
2 Tablespoons Ferretone or Linatone
Blelnd all except Pedialyte first, then add amt.  of pedialyte that makes
the soup the consistency your ferret will most likely want.  My ferrets like
it quite soupy, so I add all 2 cups of fruit pedialyte.

May God bless you both as you work through this.  I believe you can console
each other.