From:
Pamela Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 1994 12:59:31 -0500
FERRET FAQ FOR NEW AND PROSPECTIVE OWNERS
Compiled and edited by Pamela Greene ([log in to unmask])
(version 1.1, 1/31/94)

This FAQ is being distributed to the FML in about 20 pieces in order to
encourage your comments and suggestions.  I'd also be happy to send you the
whole file; it's roughly 75kB, but I can split it into smaller segments if
your mailer has problems with large messages.

*** PART 9 of LOTS ***

3.4> What should I feed my ferret?

[begin PG]
Most people feed their ferrets high-quality cat food, such as Iams,
Science Diet, or ProPlan Turkey & Barley.  High-quality food may cost
a bit more, but your pet will eat a lot less and be much healthier.
The key ingredient is protein, specifically animal protein, since
ferrets' short digestive cycles prevent them from getting enough
sustenance from vegetable proteins.  The food needs to have at least
32% protein, and animal protein should be listed first in the
ingredients.

Soft cat food is not good for ferrets, partly because it generally
contains much less protein than the dry kind and partly because it
isn't hard enough to rub plaque off their teeth and can lead to tooth
decay.  However, very young kits and those recovering from
neutering/descenting operations may need their food moistened with
water for a week or two.  Note that moistened food spoils much more
quickly than the same food left dry, so dump out leftovers every day.

Dog food is NOT acceptable, as it lacks some nutrients ferrets (and
cats) need.  Among other things, ferrets and cats both need taurine,
which (according to the Iams label) is found naturally in poultry;
many cat and ferret foods supplement it as well.

Several kinds of food meant specifically for ferrets also exist.
Probably the most widespread is Purina ferret chow.  Apparently there
was some problem with Purina chow in the past due to a lack of
taurine.  That has most likely been fixed, but I haven't heard
anything more about it.

In general, feeding your pet a variety of foods, rather than just one
brand, is probably a good idea.  Ferrets are known to be finicky
eaters, and if the brand you've been using is suddenly unavailable,
you may run into problems if it's all your pets will recognize as
edible.  We give our pair a mixture of Iams kitten food, Science Diet
Feline Growth, and ProPlan Turkey & Barley, on the theory that if
one lacks something another may have it.  (See questions 3.5 and 3.6
for comments on supplements, fruits, vegetables, and treats.)

Unless your ferret is overweight, you can just keep her bowl full and
let her eat as much as she wants.  We've found that an 8-pound bag of
dry food lasts two ferrets a few months, so the cost of feeding them
even high-quality food is not very great.

[begin BW]
Ferrets do very well on cat food, provided there is adequate taurine
in the ration.  I generally recommend the kitten foods until
approximately 4 years of age, and then the cat foods, which have less
protein for the "golden years."  The effect of high levels of protein
on renal function in older cats with poor kidneys is well documented -
I see similar renal disease in ferrets, so it is my personal theory
(and practice) to try to decrease the levels of protein in my ferret's
diet as they get older.

[begin AK]
We've always used Purina Ferret Chow, recommended by our vet.  It's
not that easy to find, but supposedly is formulated especially for
ferrets (although, for all I know, maybe it's just Purina Cat Chow
with a different name on the box).  We sometimes supplement that with
a concoction called "Ferret Soup," made from chow, raisins, bananas,
hard-boiled egg [yolk only -- see question 3.6] , milk powder, cod-liver
oil, Brewers yeast, veggies, molasses, cottage cheese, and water.  It
sounds like a lot of work, but one blenderful batch lasts one ferret
for 3-4 weeks (in the freezer).

[begin MW]
We swear by Science Diet Feline Growth formula.  We tried a couple of
the grocery store kitten chows but our ferrets pooped more and messier
than with the Science Diet.  We've just recently switched to the
Maintenance formula, since our ferrets are "middle aged" (5 years
old).

[begin JG]
If you intend to switch cat foods from brand A to brand B, buy some of
brand B before you run out of brand A.  Begin mixing B with A a little
at a time until the contents run 50% A and 50% B.  Then begin phasing
out brand A until all they eat is brand B.