From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Apr 2000 13:17:01 EDT
Blizzard, our dark eyed white was operated on last year for adrenal tumours
(they were malignant).  Since that time he has recoverd to his old hale
and hearty (and wild) self.  This spring, as he and the rest of the tangle
started their annual weight loss...his just kept on going...to the point
where we had to take him in again (fearing the worst of course).  He
started to vomit and kept it up for several days on an in frequent but
regular basis.  We rehydrated...he ate and threw up.  No scratching at this
mouth...just tired.  We took him in to the vets (she is ferret rated!)
Xrays done...OK.  Blood panel (standard ferret panel) has brought us
nothing although the white cell count is a little on the high side of
acceptibility.  His activity was only about 15 minutes and then he would be
back in the sack.  When up he is attentive, playing and chortling... just
skinny!  (2.8 pounds is his usual weight and hes down to 2.0).  We were
down to exploratory surg and I did not want to do that unless it was a last
ditch effort...AND then he kinda rebounded...more activity, no weight gain
but stable where he is...

So weve been feeding him duck soup and generally fawning over him every 2-4
hours around the clock, have him on a round of antibiotics (amoxy) and he
seems to have perked up (the caloric intact is helping).  As I said, his
weight is stable.  He drinks on his own and upon further observation...and
here's the kicker...it became apparent that he is hungry and trying to
eat...he takes solid food (crunchies and the like) and picks it up and
moves it to a eating place...promptly drops it and returns for more.
Raisin treats can only be eaten if cut into small pieces and then he
chews like a dog with peanut butter in its mouth...VERY ANIMATED!

This is frustrating to say the least...it appears he wants food (which is
great news) but is having difficulty chewing and swallowing hard food...no
pain evident, his mouth and teeth look OK (by vet check), his throat glands
appear normal...HELP!!!  Oh, he's urinating and poopin OK>

One note of interest...he is grinding his teeth a bit and "smotching" even
when not eating (or trying to).  The poor little guy actively takes all
soft food (ferretvite, ferretone, duck soup, ensure) offered by syringe but
just can't seem to take it (well he does that) and CHEW IT from the food
bowl.

Any ideas out there???

P and the tangle of 11