From:
Ferret Wise Shelter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jan 2004 02:59:51 -0500
To FML readers,
We are very appreciative of our supporters in the efforts to keep
shelter transportation available to the ferrets, education programs
and legalization efforts.  So far we have missed 2 protection hearings
at the state house -- but it cannot be helped.

We have been approached by several list folks wanting to know IF we could
send the van off to a vo -tech instead of repairing it-- first of all-
the vo-tech program is NOT free, you still pay for parts, but save on
labor.  The vehicle is not owned by the non profit- rather a personal
vehicle on loan to the non profit-- so we can't claim an emergency and
beg for immediate action at the vo-tech.

There are several other drawbacks on the vo-tech issue.  The program
locally is out of a high school and their "project vehicles are set up
for the year, so it would be next Fall or maybe , just maybe summer
session before they could fit it in... since inspection is at the end
of the month-- that will NOT help this time around.  We MUST replace
exhaust & catalytic converter sigh..

Other vo-tech programs at colleges are at LEAST 1 1/2 hours away -
likewise they need projects set up at the beginning of each semester...
there is no short term way that the van can be repaired at those
locations in the near future.  The other drawbacks to this attempted
solution is... however long it may take a classroom to find- identify and
repair the problem -- is how long there is no transportation for vet runs
( we average 4 each week), nor would I be able to assist Judy at the
hospice house a 1 1.2 hour trip each way, nor would we be available for
any rescue pick ups, fund raising endeavors, legislative efforts, or
education programs etc.

We need to find a person who is grant writing friendly for 2005 and in
the meantime we need to raise funds to band aid Ol' Green the Rollin'
Machine.

While we certainly do appreciate the recent suggestions, without a backup
vehicle the vo-tech option is not one that can be utilized this time
around.

We are doing our best to find the solution ....rather than to close the
programs down.

Alicia & DIno for all the ferrets  at Ferret Wise
www.ferretwise.org
a 501c3 organization