From:
darlene w <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 May 2009 12:13:46 -0700
I agree, if people are putting thier pets on the Craigslist to find
them a good home, money should not be an issue. The welefare of the
animal should be. They all seem to be more concerned with how much
money they will get instead of finding a good home for thier pet. They
don't stop and think how much money the new owner will have to spend
to take over the previous owner's responsibility's of vet care, food
and other costs of animal ownership.. They lie about the pets age and
health to hurry and pawn them off on to someone else. I explained this
one time to a person who was looking for a home for thier ferret, that
I could not pay to take this animal, I would need the money for a vet
visit and more food, but they would have a caring and loving, and
forever home with me. They didn't care about that, they wanted the
money. I was furious, but what could I do? Here I was, willing to
take over THIER responsibility in the first place and all they were
concerned about was getting money!! I will not pay the same price that
a pet store would charge for a kit, for one that is 2,3 or older, I
don't need the cage or accesseries unless it was something the ferret
could not part with, medicine, or a beloved toy or blanket. I am
willing to relieve this person/ or persons from the financial burden of
having this pet. If I HAD to find another home for my babies, I would
just want a caring, loving home for them, I could not or would not want
any money for them. And as far as the "Tabboo question". I have to
admit, I did use the home version of having to put down my daughter's
hamster. She was very old, unable to walk anymore and was starting to
have difficulty breathing. I called a couple of vets and they wanted
to charge a very large amout of money to put her at ease.. But, at
the time, I really was not able to financially afford to have a $8.00
hamster put down for $45. dollars or more and most importantly, she was
suffering I'm sorry if this angers some folks, but I'm not looking for
a debate on what I should have done, I'm just saying that at that time,
something had to be done quickly, I can not stand to see a animal
suffer at all, I feel I did what had to be done. If it were one of my
other animals and something had to be done quickly, I would ask my
husband to do what has to be done. I won't go into details but I can
assure you, it would be done painlessly, quickly and every measure
would be taken to keep the animal calm as possible and not be scared
anymore then what they were already.. If I know in my heart that a 30
minute drive to the vet's office would cause more suffering and death
was and would be the only outcome, I would and could do something to
stop it myself. I notice how scared my guys get when we go to the vet
for just a routine visit or vaccine, its like they know what could
happen there, I wouldn't want thier last thoughts or feelings being
scared or wondering what is about to happen to them. This is just my
personal feelings and I'm not trying to start a whole arguement on what
people feel should or should not be done. I know in the end, we all
just want what we feel is best for our pets and extended family without
any added pain or suffering. As far as being in a situation of having
to leave home quickly, ending thier life wouldn't be a thought in my
mind, I would again, do what I would have to do to get out quickly and
safely with all of them, its having a plan ahead of time for those
"just in case" moments. If I thought for one minute that our lives
would no doubt end, suffering, and in pain, then and only then, would I
think of what to do to end thier lives quickly and without suffering. I
just think its best to have a "just in case" plan before we have to ask
ourselves that forever, permenant question, because once its done, you
can't change your mind, and if God forbid, you DID do something to only
realize that it didn't need to be done after all, well, I wouldn't want
to live with myself after that.

Darlene & Addie & Booboo