From:
daoine o' <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 May 2002 02:27:00 -0600
I wonder what your friend is feeding her ferrets.

I ask because I recently went to a new feed store looking for alternative
ferret litter (wrong time of year for woodstove pellets) and the clerk
there offered me a free opened bag bag of chinchilla food (basically
rabbit food/alfalfa pellets).  They said someone had brought it back to
them because their ferret had just died.  Can you guess why?  That's what
they were feeding their poor ferret.  I almost cried on the spot when the
clerk told me that.  The people at the store of course set this person
straight, that, hello!, ferrets are *carnivores* but it was too late for
that poor little ferret.  Sick and wrong.

Some people may ignorantly be feeding their ferret inappropriate food,
say, dog food, or a vegetarian diet.  I recall reading of someone who
rescued a ferret who was being fed nothing but fake 'krab' meat and
lettuce.

So along with wondering about some kind of gas/toxic/noxious fumes causing
the deaths of the ferrets, I'd also be wondering about their diet.  Just a
thought.

daoine o'
*aka the ferret queen*
Dweezil, Loki, and Razzle