From:
petersen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Jul 1998 22:24:42 -0500
Erin Ennis posted:
>I've gotten a tad behind on my FMLs, but I wanted to toss in my opinion
>about the topic of cage time that has come up.  Someone posted that 1-2
>hours a day is sufficient run time.  I heartily disagree.  Ferrets need
>exercise and stimulation as much as your or do.

Erin, you mentioned that you have a shelter (or the shelter has you, as it
often seems to us!).  Theoretically, I agree with you that the ferrets
should get lots of run time - however, most of our shelter residents are
single ferrets who don't get along with other ferrets and the resident
ferrets of course don't get along with any of the shelter ferrets.  This
means we have to do run time in stages, and right now we have 11 separate
cages, all of which get run time.  Right now my husband and I are both
working at home, and so we can give them more time then when I was working
outside the house, but what usually happens is each group gets run time
about every other day.

If you're able to have all of your ferrets down all day, that's wonderful,
but please try to sympathize with the people who cannot do things that way
as much as we might like to!

Sara Petersen
FURRY (Ferrets Underfoot RUnning Round You)