Date:
Wed, 8 May 2002 17:19:33 EDT
I know that ferret proofing is technically never really finished, but I
thought I was pretty close.  I never thought for a second that their cage
could be a hazard.

I have a Superpet cage that is off the floor on a stand.  Whenever I let
the girls out, I would open the cage door and put a step-stool under the
door so they could use the door as a ramp and come and go into the cage
as they pleased.  They did this for years.  Then last month, I was in the
living room and heard this ear piercing screeching going on in the bedroom
where their cage is.  I ran in, and Jenna was hanging from the cage door
by her leg.  She apparently had slipped and caught her leg in between the
door wires and was just dangling there very upset and scared.  They don't
go in their cage when they are out anymore.  We took the food and water
and litter box out and put them on the floor.  Luckily, she was not
seriously injured.  A little sore, but nothing serious, thank God.  So
even the things you think can't possibly injure a ferret can.  My
condolences to all those who had to learn the hard way.

Kelly White
Southampton, Massachusetts
Jenna: "Uh, mom, a little help here!"
Amber: "Jenna, you'll do anything for an extra raisin!"