From:
Kimberly Latas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 2004 10:24:42 -0500
Hi Everyone,

I have a question and maybe several of the more medically knowledgable
members of the FML will post a reply:

In general, I wonder if it'd be okay to train kits to chew on those dried
pigs ears from the pet stores?

I read about nipping kits, baby teeth and all the posts about ferrets who
like to bite.  I have trained several puppies thru 'childhood chewing'
using those terriffic ears, and I'd imagine Ferrets would be subject to
the same tormenting itch as their teeth erupt also...

The ears are a protien product..  I know from experience the unbasted
or undyed ones don't stain the carpet or furniture.  The ears are
lightweight enough to be manipulated by the ferret easily.  They are
advertised as completely digestible, and our dogs ate 'em like they
were potato chips at first when they were teething...

I imagine one could drill a hole thru the ear and tie it with elastic to
a heavy piece of furniture or to the side of the cage so it doesn't get
lost.  What are your thoughts about training ferrets from the day they
come home --to chew on that --and not mommy or whatever??

Any answers out there?

Kimberly Latas
Why Wait? Move to EarthLink.