From:
Ann Gruden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 2007 15:15:42 -0500
Hi Ulrike:

>I'm not sure about ferrets feeling emotions, thinking and
>contemplating like people do, at least not to the extent you describe.
>I've had quite a few rescues come in, some came from bad homes, others
>from good homes. None became sick because they left their home.
>Ferrets are usually excited about new surroundings and people. I think
>he was very sick, maybe his owners knew and didn't want any vet bills
>and gave the ferrets up instead.

After having done much reading on the subject of animal emotions, I've
come to feel that they certainly do not have the range of emotions
humans have - though do believe they are capable of some thought and
varying degrees of contemplation of action. Just wish they also showed
any ability to determine consequences! LOL But that is still all an
area under investigation by far brighter minds than mine. :)

I do, however, believe ferrets can and do become ill from a change
in environment. I have seen it occur on all too many occasions over
the past 20 years. Admittedly, it mostly occurs with older animals -
especially those who may have lived a significant time as an only
ferret. I have also seen it with younger animals that have bounced
just a bit too much between households over a brief period of time.
Again, circumstances and conditions can vary. And yes, initially
ferrets appear to be very excited in a new environment. That is their
nature to explore thoroughly. And over time I've come to believe it
is less the emotion of "excitement" as one of a hectic need to gather
information about their new surroundings as quickly as possible.

Bringing any animal into a shelter environment produces stress. (Stress
of course, can be both good and bad), but if there is any underlying
medical condition, just as in humans, stress can exasperate the
condition. With a change in water, and oftentimes food, other animals
to cope with; and different "habits" thrown into the mix, it can be
an extremely difficult combination on a animal.

I honestly feel that it is to ferret's detriment too often that they
appear to enjoy new environments so much. It is far to easy to assume
all is well and not give them the attention needed in those first few
days and couple of weeks. I have seen ill animals arrive for me to
"ferret sit" all of a sudden act like nothing is wrong with them and
show higher levels of energy to the delight of their owner who is going
away. In several hours to a few days they are back to their more normal
and "sickly" ways.

We need to remember that ferrets, while a predator, are also a prey
animal. Prey animals generally must be adept at masking illness by
feigning alertness under new or discomforting conditions - all the less
likely to appear like lunch to something higher on the food chain.

This "shelter shock/environmental change" factor is one of the reasons
why we are very reluctant to move a ferret into a new home too quickly
irrespective of quarantines or personality assessments. We would far
rather the ferret move from the former owner to the new home than have
a short stop over at our shelter.

Your experiences may have varied - but that's been ours.

Ann Gruden
Ferret Association of CT