From:
Monica Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Nov 1999 09:34:44 PST
Hi everyone,
My thoughts and prayers go out to those who have lost or have sick little
fuzzies.

I'm posting to this list in the hopes that someone has had a similar
situation.

My little SilverMitt female Slinky went in for surgery to remove a mass
from her abdomen.  The doc found an enlarged spleen and it was lumpy.  He
removed it and sent it in, the results came back and it was lymphoma.  We
talked about possible treatments and I have decided to procede with chemo.

I asked the doc about what would/could happen if I did nothing and just
waited.  He said that since ferrets are so small their health can go
downhill very quickly.  If I waited and she got worse then she might not
respond very well to the chemo.  (I don't want that)

Anyway, the doc said the treatment could go on as long as 2 yrs, is this
normal.  He gave me some literature on treatment protocol and most of the
meds will be given orally, only 1 has to be done IV.

I have read several posts regarding Prednisone and that the owners wouldn't
ever do that again.  What exactly is the problem with that particular drug?
If it is part of the treatment protocol, have the other ferret humans been
advised to give to much, thereby being a detriment to the ferret.

Anyone with any and all information would be greatly appreciated.  I don't
want Slinky to suffer, but if I don't do anything, and her health starts to
go down, the doc said that it could be like seeing her starve to death as
she might not be able to keep anything in her tummy.  (I've already
witnessed starvation, lost 2 babies to ECE, DON'T ever want to see that
again.)

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Monica and the Weasel Ward

James, Clyde, Squeeker, Slinky, Tango, Cash, Taffy, Amanda,
Yuki, Keegan, Jewel, Samson, Bear, Felix, Karizma.
Bonnie and Bartles, gone but not forgotten.
http://homepages.msn.com/PetsPl/ferretsrule1