From:
Meredith Harper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 23:18:52 EST
I have a great way of giving Flagyl to ferrets.  My initial advice will be
to find a compounding pharmacy.  Have your vet write/call in the script
with an exact dose...that is, "Give 37.5mg to ferret twice daily" (or
whatever the weight-calculated dosage is for your ferret).  Then, ask the
compounding pharmacist to make up the dosages in single-dose capsules.
This usually doesn't cost any more than the tablets or the liquid.  At the
time you are ready to give your fuzzy his medicine, take a bottle (you can
probably ask for one from the pharmacist) that will hold liquid tight with
a cap.  Break open the capsule and dump the contents in the vial.  Add 1
teaspoonful of Ferretone.  (This quantity is important, because more they
will not take and less isn't enough to dilute the yucky taste).  Shake
VERY well.  It will still look cloudy and a little clumpy, but that's ok.
Then give your ferret the entire amount.

I actually do this with all my ferrets meds, and most of them he laps up
excitedly.  He is slightly tentative about the Flagyl, even mixed this
way.  I just hold him on my lap gently - no scruffing, just a gentle hand
under his neck - and direct his head to the syringe til he takes it all.
This SHOULD work.

Some compounding pharmacist, not all, will actually take the ferretone
and make up a whole batch for however long you need it for you.  I don't
recommend this as there has been no testing on stability and there is no
way to know for sure that the drug holds it's potency in the ferretone
over extended periods.  If you have to have it premade, please don't have
more than 2 weeks at a time mixed, and keep it in the fridge once it's
mixed.

If anyone wants instructions on how to make your own meds from the
tablets, I'll be glad to help you with that as well.  Or, if you can't
find a willing compounding pharmacist in your area, please let me know
and I will be glad to work something out with you.

Meredith and "Sneakers"