From:
Tarra C Lindborg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 1994 17:49:48 -0500
In regards to keeping the bowl full so the furries can eat anytime, I
have been told  (and read) that they are to be fed twice a day, and not
to leave their bowls down all the time.  But, for all I know, keeping the
food available at all times is the right thing to do.
We have a ferret, Aussie, who is over weight.  It was so sad when we put
her on diet food, (For "less active"  with 25% less fat.)  because Aussie
would do anything not to eat her diet food.  We even tried to mix it in
and she picked it out!!  She is a happy, lazy little gal  and I just
couldn't stand to do it to her anymore.  I am concerned that putting
ferrets on diet food might not give them all the nutrients they need.
So, I would have to say unless your ferret is really over weight and in
medical danger, just try to keep their food out of reach except for twice
or three times a day.  I think our Aussie  eats a lot when she is locked
up and bored.  (We only let them out when we are home)  With no food
availaable to relieve her boredom, she won't over eat.  Right?