From:
Date:
Sun, 9 Jan 2000 10:17:46 -0800
>From:    Bob Martin <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: FERRET- (#2000-2922) [getting blood]
>I might say that too, but given that alternate methods are available part
>of the time, I'd prefer to take the extra time and effort to use them.

But are those other methods less painful?  Really, how do we know?

>Possibly, but the jerk back, limp, and instantly learning to fear the
>clipper for life isn't part of the pom's "act" is it ?

Yes it is.  Thats exactly what we was telling you.  We got a comment in
private email about their Pom taht would scream in agony when another dog
was being treated.

Face it, your ferret will NOT know that anything you are doing that will be
painful is for their benefit.  They just won't.  If you weren't expecting
it the little lancette in the fingertip used to get a drop of blood for
blood glucose test would hurt a lot.  But really pain is not always the
issue.  Be it ferret or human.

The amount of blood needed determines the method of extraction.  For
that blood glucose test on a human it would be really silly to use a iv
catheter.  The various methods discussed in the Fox book seem frankly
far more painful and troublesome ot he ferret.

>I'm OK with my perspective on that, just not very quantitative.

Being familiar with your perspective, your being OK with it doesn't make it
right.  You do not know the amount of pain you inflict.  You do not know
the amount of pain from other methods.

>and to distrust the opinions of distant unknown vets with their own
>agenda and profit issues and stuff to sell to vets who wanna make a
>profit

Seems rather slanderous to assume eveyone except your chosen vet.  With
bill being the granson of a vet and both of us the friends with quite a
few vets, we have not met a significant number of vets we think have pure
profit as their primary motive.  We have met and talked at length to Dr
Curlee of United he is in our opinion not primarily in vet medicine for
the money.  We do understand you trusting your vet most.  Personal
relationships are important in life.

Your vet would be buying ADV testing services from the exact same source.

>If I had hundreds of ferrets to test, and money was an issue, I could
>reconsider, grudgingly.

Well if we did we might have to operate differently as well.  But even
with our order of magnitude smaller costs do play into it.  But we are not
talking about costs.  Your arguments are not persuasive that the nail clip
method is that much worse.  Frankly we would like to hear from someone that
knows not one of us just guessing 'lay' folks.  Is there a vet or vet tech
that can comment?

But Bob you seem 'different' from your usual self.  <wink>

bill and diane (still together)
--
bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets